GREAT THEATER OF HAVANA
It acquired its actual name in 1985. It was previously known as Gran Teatro de Tacón, which opened in 1838. Right from the beginning, it became internationally famous and many artists from around the world performed there. After several reforms, both to its exterior as to its interior, the building was enlarged to give way to the one existing today, and is considered a faithful recreation of the German Neo-baroque style in Havana.
The present day building, built in 1908, was finally opened in 1915 with an opera season featuring important lyrical figures of the time. On its stage many artists have performed, such as Fanny Elssler, Anna Pávlova, Antonia Mercé, Ruth Saint Denis, Ted Shawn, Vicente Escudero, Maya Plisetskaya, Carla Fracci and Alicia Alonso, as well as famous ballet companies. Today it is the permanent headquarters of the National Ballet of Cuba and the main stage for the International Ballet Festivals of Havana.
For more information: