LOMA DEL INTENDENTE AND SURROUNDING AREA
Santiago de Cuba, Heroic City of the Republic of Cuba, became a living historical monument related with the events of November 30th of 1956, when a group of young men led by Frank País, backing up the landing of the men on the Granma yacht, with Fidel Castro at the head of 81 men, raised up the whole city. Here the Museum of Clandestine Struggle (Museo de la Lucha Clandestina) has been located since 1976, in the same building where the dictator Fulgencio Batista had his police department.
In this area of the city, every stone, house and place were silent witnesses of the events that took place in order to achieve definite independence. It was declared a National Monument on December 25th of 1979.
For more information: